To Team or Not To Team

 

To Team or Not To Team

I have arrived at the decision that I will be working on my AICE Media Studies magazine cover project alone. Throughout different experiences as well as knowing my own personality traits I think I will be better suited to work independently. I value the dynamic and different ideas that come when working with other people because everyone truly has something unique to offer, however I know that I can get sidetracked very easily.

Throughout my school life and outside of school I have been put into groups to work on projects. While some of these projects have been conducive to the productivity of the projects, other group dynamics have hurt the productivity I have. In the “Lost at Sea” an activity we did in class, I got along with everyone in the group and the group dynamic became present very quickly, which I liked, so we weren’t wasting time and were more likely to listen to other people’s ideas and give feedback. I liked hearing everyone’s different perspectives about the items we had to prioritize, but I also noticed us getting sidetracked. As we started talking, we began to get more and more off-topic and the activity took us longer than it had to.


As stated by Bradley and Hebert in “The effect of personality type on team performance”, “A knowledgeable, assertive leader must not only be available and properly trained in group dynamics techniques, but must also be the type of person who can lead people who represent different functional areas and different levels of management.” This is another factor I have taken into consideration in my decision. With kids our age sometimes, it is very hard for a leader to step forward and even if one does, they usually do not have very much experience with working in groups and being efficient, which can just continuously lead to work being procrastinated on.

Another element I consider, is my own personality and how it affects my working habits. I am a disciplined individual who likes to achieve tasks in a timely fashion. In the article “Team building and group dynamics: creating and fostering a culture of teamwork requires trust, collaboration, and accountability” Becker states, “The six-month program establishes a common language for the team to communicate, standardize expectations to improve accountability, strengthen leadership abilities, and create an emotionally intelligent culture.” This text shows the sheer amount of time a single course had to take to make a strong and effective team. I simply think that we do not have enough time to truly get to know one and other and make a strong project.

Finally, another part of my decision came from our in-class project. We spent one day looking at a classmate’s social media accounts. I looked over Emily Hall's social accounts, although I think she is a reliable person, and we would have worked well together we both wanted the flexibility of being able to work solo. As seen in “Team building and group dynamics: creating and fostering a culture of teamwork requires trust, collaboration, and accountability” Becker states, “We're clear on what we're accountable for.” That being said, I think that a lot of the other people in the class have a lot of commitments outside of school, this means they may find it harder to have time to work on the project.

In conclusion, I think I will work better alone. I like the idea of having flexibility with the project and not having to rely on another person to pull their weight, as well as someone not having to rely on my because of the various commitments I have outside of school. In addition, I have an open mind and think I will be able to see multiple angles of a single project. I am also self-disciplined so, in my opinion, I will get more work accomplished and less sidetracked if I work alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production 2 - Feature Articles

Post Production 1 - Title Page and Contents Page

Creative Critical Reflection - Question 1