Decision Day

 October 1, 2020

In AICE media studies we have gone over the different aspects of our two different project options for our end of year project. We have been analyzing the different aspects of choosing to either create a magazine or an introduction to a movie. We have gone over the different aspects that are entailed within each of these projects as well as the programs that we would need to use to make our magazine or the movie introduction.

Personally, I am choosing to do the magazine because I think I will like the writing aspect as well as the pictures and different snippets of information. As seen in the article, Our Place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom, stories have been the lifeline of people's entire record of existence. Ancient records of civilizations that rose and fell before today's modern society. The article talks about the importance of, “critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity”. All these elements are needed to create an amazing attention-grabbing story and or article. 

However, it is also being seen that in today's society with the advent of instant internet access that magazine companies are dying. One of the top editors from Bellingham review states, “Most people, especially writers, do not have the funds to subscribe to a lot of literary magazines, and I don't expect that they will”. So, while magazines tell the stories of the present and past, they are fighting against an uphill battle for popularity with most people having access to the internet. Personally, I think there is a lot of value in magazines and can be very popular if the right eye-grabber and other aspects like the feature article are up to date and relevant.

When we went over both Premiere pro and InDesign, I found it a little easier to use the InDesign software.  With premiere pro I found it easier to operate with the picture formatting rather then the the video formatting found in Premiere Pro. This plays a large role in my decision as I do not want to be struggling with the program. I think that because I have a little more experience and are more comfortable with InDesign I feel like my creativity and joy will come through more with the magazine.

I have a small background with different InDesign tools. I have learned in past classes how to use the import tool to make sure that an image appears in the right size so that it dose not become pixelated. In addition, to importing the image I know how to use the color gradient and brightness adjusters to change the appearance of the image and make it more or less opaque. Furthermore, I know how to manipulate the textboxes to make them appear larger, more bold, or have a specific style of the boarder. This all makes me want to choose a magazine because I have no experience with Premier Pro, and it is daunting to me to think about having to learn an editing program from scratch and having no idea how the different tools work.

I also feel like I am more drawn toward magazines as the pictures and style always seem to be just what I am looking for it. For me, magazines are also great because in most cases they are not super long articles but are broken up over different text bubbles and pages. Most magazines are very colorful and eye catching and I personally like that a lot so I feel like my creativity will show through more in a magazine where I know how to operate the technological tools such as such as the color dropper and frame adjuster and can let my ideas flow easier than if I was struggling with the Premiere Pro video software and tools.

This quote is very important in my decision too, “The brain actually experiences the story in the same way it would as if you were inside the narrative itself”. This quote shows how important reading is and how engaging it can be if presented in the right way. I have always liked writing and find it as a much more created outlet for myself rather then trying to make a small film which tends to stress me. This makes me certain that with my magazine I will be able to utilize effective techniques and make it so an audience would but it and take the time to read it.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production 2 - Feature Articles

Post Production 1 - Title Page and Contents Page

Creative Critical Reflection - Question 1